Old 15 Jan 2018, 19:06 (Ref:3792959)   #36
pafe
Rookie

Germany
North-Germany
pafe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by verglas View Post
Marshalling at Eau Rouge in about 1988. I was positioned at the bottom of the hill, in front of some debris fencing with the old concrete stand directly behind. Quite a confined position, but a fantastic spot from which to watch. Anyway, in the F3000 race the drying track left many people with rooted wets, and my colleague and I watched the second running of the Spanish civil war as Alfonso de Vinuesa and Luis Sala drove down the hill from La Source absolutely side by side. They had been going at it hammer and tongs for the duration, and it was pretty obvious to us that on this occasion neither was going to lift. Now 2 F3000 cars do not go side by side through Eau Rouge at racing speed. They clearly thought they would have a go. All hell broke loose as we ducked behind the barrier, getting a thorough soaking from the tyres and flying debris everywhere. Bricking it would be the best description of how I felt....Poor Alfie was out for the count, and I don't think he ever fully recovered. British marshals were in force that year at that spot, and I have vivid memories of Prof. Watkins calling for British help, seriously upsetting our Belgian hosts!

This made me look him up on Wiki, what a tragic life.
Found this pic of the crash:

Last edited by pafe; 15 Jan 2018 at 19:13.