View Single Post
Old 24 May 2020, 11:47 (Ref:3978050)   #143
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS" View Post
And yet, the general public will only get drawn into a series, if several manufacturers duke it out on the track.
Increasingly there are many forms of motorsport that the public are drawn into without manufacturers duking it out. The notion that the public are only drawn to a manufacturer battle, if true, surely suggests that many series around the world have no future?

It also leaves the dilemma of - if manufacturers aren't willing to enter your series, how do you survive?

Manufacturers, if they are your only way of drawing in crowds, need a product that fits their goals.

How many mainstream manufacturers (German or European) have a vested interest in the long term future of high performance ICE cars?
Of those, how many see their marketing as being benefited by entering a national series?
Of those, which have models that are eligible for DTM?

If after answering the list of questions you are not able to list at least three that fit the criteria, it must be accepted that relying on manufacturers is a certain route to failure.

Unless, you can change your series sufficiently to meet manufacturers' desires, or to not need manufacturer entries.

Tell me I'm wrong - how can manufacturer entries be relied upon to support DTM in the current automobile market under the current series format?

If BTCC's peak, is viewed as being in the '90s, then it is accepted that a decline followed. That decline was only halted only by adapting from that structure, which is now a 30yr old model of success not relevant today.