View Single Post
Old 15 Oct 2000, 00:41 (Ref:42978)   #1
Lazy Boy
Rookie

Lazy Boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I haven't been hiding under a rock...... BUT!

Brit writer Michael Scott let fly with something I hadn't heard of.

The bike manufacturers have created a "new" (to me) racing association.... with (amongst other things) some ideas for "downgrading" the W Superbike rules.

Verrry interesting.... almost no details though.... but during a meeting of the representatives of the manufacturers.... Honda put forth the appeal that pneumatically activated cyl head valves (like F1 cars have) be banned from the new GP 4 stroke rules...... Aprilia said ...."fine... but lets ban oval pistons too"..... Honda says nothing.

Sounds similar to what I put on this Forum a while ago..... Run a Superbike series with near production rules in effect (600's... or 750's..or ? ..have to think about that).... and I would like to even see them run that with "naked bike" body packages (no full fairings, that way it looks totaly different from GP)....And then go ahead and switch the best tech from Superbike over to GP.... no need for all new expensive engine development.

I can hear WSB's lawyers clearing their throats and sharpening their pencils.

But the manufacturers wield the ultimate power.... unless private teams would/could step up to the plate and run bikes that were purchased out of showrooms.

WSB and World GP might just have to sit back and take what the manufacturers give them.