Thread: Customer Cars?
View Single Post
Old 11 Jan 2021, 15:55 (Ref:4028185)   #36
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
...This is also part of the reason why until now Williams were so stubborn about not using some of the "listed parts" that some other teams (case in point: Racing Point) gladly use. Once you go that route, you start losing the (current) expertise that one day could lead you to build a better mouse trap and get ahead of the leaders, instead of keeping up. Of course, Williams' example shows how risky and demanding that approach is compared to using proven solutions.
but will that logic still hold true under the new financial regulations? of course its not as easy as hiring someone and bringing back in that 'lost' knowledge.

but that said, dont we want this dynamic?

some teams, out of pride, branding, or a better long term view towards winning may choose different options and within a budget cap system they may actually be able to affordably build their own competitive cars. rather, it was the old/current financial model that meant they needed to spend 400mil a year just to keep up.

also as an aside and in part based on the other convo about overtaking...

more cars that are the same may lead to less variance in lap times. if there is an argument to be made against customer cars, perhaps it is that overtaking could be negatively affected?