Thread: Diecast/Models 1:18 Group A Touring Car Diecasts
View Single Post
Old 23 Nov 2008, 19:13 (Ref:2340334)   #14
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
I was at a model car expo/swap meet and came across a Corgi made 1:43 BSCC Ford Capri.

The car was #6, with Juicy Fruit sponsorship on it. It had no drivers name, but did feature the Tricentral signage above the number. For interests sake who drove this car, and did Corgi make anymore of them from this period?

PS... i didn't buy it, as with most items at these places, they were hideously over-priced
I've got one somewhere from when I was little!

You'll probably find a few of them on ebay periodically and yes they do seem a bit pricey.

The livery is from the 1981 Tricentrol BSCC. There was a 2 car team for Andy Rouse and Charles Sawyer-Hoare entered under the 'CS-H Racing with Daily Mirror' banner.

I believe the the cars might have been prepared by Ralph Broad but with Andy (having used to work for Broadspeed) also heavily involved on the engineering/prep front.

As you probably know r69, Andy had driven for Gordon Spice in '80 but had decided to break from this suuccesful partnership (I suspect with the lure of Sawyer-Hoares's decent budget as on the Cordi car!)) However, the venture wasn't a succesful one, with the cars not really working like the well sorted CC examples, of Spice and Vince Woodman so Rouse returned to Spice's CC prep'd outfit for the final year of Group 1 in Britain.

Unfortunately I dodn;t think Corgi did any other liveries, there was just this one; 'The Professionals' TV silver version and later on an Only Fools and Horses luried green one.

Shame really as it would've been mega to be able to have bought Spice and Woodman examples!