Old 11 Jul 2009, 08:44 (Ref:2499347)   #23
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkybm View Post
There were at least 3, probably 4, maybe 5, JPS M3's built by Frank Gardner in 1987.
#1) Early test car, ex 325i
#2) David Towe NSW, built early '87 by converting 325 Group A to M3 Group A specs, used in first round of ATCC
#3) Nick Rahimtulla WA, full M3 built just prior to Bathurst '87, now '87 JPS colors
#4) Jervis Ward VIC, full M3 built just prior to Bathurst '87, now Mobil '88 colors
#5) BMW Art Car - Jagamura Nelson - was a Bathurst car

One of these became the Sax car - I think #2 above - raced at Bathurst as ViaCard entry.

#3 and #4 were sold to Brock/Mobil, and another one or two were built in 88. Three cars raced in '88 ATCC in Mobil colors - Brock (white grilles), Richards (black grilles), Crompton (red grilles). Both #3 and #4 became Doulman/Cotter/Bob Holden/NZ, both came back here. One of the Mobil 88 Bathurst cars also became a BMW Art Car (Ken Done). Fourth car crashed at Wellington???

Others may be able to elaborate on this in more detail.
As far as I can figure out the re were 5 M3s built
#1) my car which was built from an unfinished 325 project, always log booked as an M3 and raced in at least the first 3 rounds including the win at Lakeside and possibly 5 rounds (Longhurst in round 5 at Sandown)?. Sold to John Sax late 1987 used by him for three years, then sold on in NZ several times before returning to OZ in 1999
Then in no particular order,
#The others) A sister car to mine which was raced by Jim in Round two and Tony in rounds one and three. There were three more. The Viacard (Trevor Crowe) car had the rear air jacks behind the rear wheels and it appears to be the only car built in this layout. This was the car Jim used at Calder in the middle of the year in the endurance race.
Which car did Finnauer race at the three rounds he got to run? It would seem a fair presumption it was an older car as he was the junior driver for the team, possibly my car?? They would have had at least three cars by the time they got to Amaroo Park in June to choose from. Has anyone got any pics of Goofy in those races?
The two art cars are the key. Did either of them have the air jacks behind the rear wheels? One of them had the bonnet pins in the same location as mine (wide out on the bonnet where as the other 3 cars had them about 40 mm further inboard)
Two (or three) of these cars went to Brock, Richards and Crompton for 1988. Two cars then went to Cotter and Doulman, two cars went to BMW as Art Cars
The easy part is that at the end of 88 there were two art cars (Ken Done and Michael Jagamara Nelson), two Cotter/Doulman cars and mine at John Sax in NZ, that part is easy to establish, but who drove which at where in 87/88??
Sax ran two cars at Bathurst in 1989, mine driven in to the wall at Forrests Elbow by Craig Turner and the car Sax drove which self immolated a lap or two later at The Cutting, so where did he get two cars from?
Now I'm confused, I need a good lie down
To help nail this saga down we need some pics of the art cars showing the bonnet pins and air jack positions, help please????