Old 14 Jul 2009, 10:55 (Ref:2501474)   #41
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmdog View Post
David, I visited the temporary BMW museum at Munich (while the new one was still getting built) in 2007, they had some photos of all of the Art cars. Have you considered asking them if there are any file photos of the art cars?
You and I are on the same wavelength, I just finished composing and sending the following to Thomas Tischler at BMW Mobile Tradition in Munich, now I just have to wait and hope for a reply. I have edited the email to take out the boring stuff, but you get the drift.

Hello Thomas,

My name is David Towe and I own one of the E30 M3s that was raced in Australia by the Frank Gardner JPS Team BMW in the 1987 Australian Touring Car Championship and I need some help. The owners of the other ex JPS M3s and other motorsport enthusiasts have a been checking the history of the cars and we can't establish who now owns which car of the 5 (and possibly 6) cars built and run in that year by the team.

I wonder if you can provide some assistance by confirming the shell numbers and delivery dates to the JPS team and/or the retreival dates of the 2 cars that became the art cars? From what we know there was one built from a 325i shell (probably mine) and 4 or 5 more with 2 cars ending their life as "Art Cars" painted by Michael Jagamara Nelson and Ken Done. I realise that you will probably not be aware of the movements of the cars after they were sold to Gardner except for the 2 art cars, but any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated by the 3 of us who own the cars that have remained in Australia.

I wonder if you could confirm if the art cars were the cars that were raced at Bathurst as car numbers 44 and 45 or not?

There was only one car built with the rear air jacks fitted behind the rear wheels, can you advise if the Jagamara Nelson car has, or had, the air jacks in this postion?

Thses questions may seem a little strange but the answers will help to identify which car is which.

There has been a resurgence of interest in Group A Touring cars and these cars are very much in the spotlight again 21 years after their prime. As a matter of interest I have attached a photo taken from the race control tower at the Phillip Island Classic Historic meeting held in March of this year. In a 30 car field 3 of the top 4 places on the grid were E30 M3s.

I have included Ian Branston as a CC on this email as Ian is a personal friend of mine, as well as being our Clubs Australia International Delegate if I am correct, who has displayed an interest in assisting us with our quest.

In closing may I say thank you for any assistance you may be able to provide in our quest to confirm the history of our much cherrished pieces of motor racing history.

Regards
David Towe