Thread: Driver 2018 F1 team mate battles
View Single Post
Old 10 Apr 2018, 07:24 (Ref:3814588)   #43
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Just for you confused people, I was referring to posts #25 and #27 of this thread (and also elsewhere) where people were questioning why Ericsson was even in the top ten rated drivers from the Australian GP. Even though he did only a few laps at the Aus GP, he drove well enough in those few laps to earn a spot in the top ten ranked drivers (9th), ahead of Vettel in 10th.

But don't worry, I haven't changed my mind on Ericsson just because of his 9th place finish in Bahrain (). I'm not a fan of Ericsson. I still firmly believe he's spot on the grid is unworthy, and it is only because of his links with the Swedish owners of Sauber that he is still on the grid. He should've been dumped end of 2016. End of 2017 definitely. It has been what.. almost 50 GP's since he scored a point? The 2015 Italian GP was his last venture into the points if I'm not mistaken. Not good enough. In my opinion.

I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying here, but apart from the drivers at the front end, I think it's fair to say that few of the drivers are where they are purely due to their driving talent. The teams nearer the back of the grid have a different agenda, mostly financial (a case in point being the once great Williams GP). If Ericsson is popular with the sponsors (for example) he could be good for their promotions, and therefore be earning the team lots of money, money that the team needs to be there in the first place.