View Single Post
Old 27 Apr 2004, 12:56 (Ref:953507)   #22
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They went back to steel panels due to the regs. They put the gearbox and diff oil coolers in the rear panel.

If you look at the Homologation Certificate there are photo's covering the various development bits from the original through to the final Gp 2 Car. The wings were originaly fibreglass panels by '74 the squared off vented panels were made up from a kit comprising the top piece in fibreglass and the side pieces in steel. The weight went up from around 960 kg to 1050 (ish).

The radiators were sited in the rear wheelarches. So yes they were different to the original RS 23/2600s. The ducktail was first tried on a RS2600 in Japan. Then a similar car won in Macau. That was the end of '73.

The best source that I know is "CAPRI The Development & Competition History of Ford's European GT Car" by Jeremy Walton.ISBM 0-85429-863-0.

Going back to the "numbers built" I can only find references to three car entries. So unless somebody has more detail there may well be a few "kit built" cars doing the rounds.

Vince Woodman has (had?) a white example. I knew about the TW example and the one that prompted Steve's questions (as I understood it) started out its life as a ETC car but then was pedalled by Niki Lauda in the German Championship before going to South Africa.

As Beejay says the engine in the '74 car was an Essex (Ford UK) derived lump and as such they spent an awful lot of time selecting the necessary blocks from the production batch. This was because they discovered a weakness. Cosworth had to make (or prove that they had manufactured enough components to make) 250 engines.

I'm sure Frank de Jong could help us out here.