Old 15 Oct 2019, 18:46 (Ref:3934744)   #3
deimh
Rookie

South Africa
London
deimh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
I guess, though, that you are more interested in the slightly later 2nd generation of GT3 cars, i.e. the first group of really bespoke cars such as the original Audi R8, the BMW Z4 and the Mercedes SLS. It's quite surprising, but you really don't see many of those around anymore, even in club competition - now I don't know what the reason for this could be, but those 2009 - 2014 cars really aren't raced anywhere in great numbers despite there being so many of them around.
You are spot on, its the bespoke GT3 cars that I was really thinking about (what you refer to as the second generation), and it was seeing a couple of Ferrari 458 GT3 racing at the Old Timer GP a couple of months back in the German FOC event that made me start to ponder this.

Do people think that there are between 500 and 1000 of these second generation GT3 cars out there? And are they all gathering dust somewhere, or written off / broken-up?

Also, your answer implied that there is a 3rd Generation of GT3 from 2015 onwards - is this the case and how do these differ from the 2009-14 cars?