View Single Post
Old 20 Dec 2001, 04:41 (Ref:187912)   #5
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 956 model was preferred by almost any team that had either that or the newer 962 to chose from. So the works team was at a disadvantage from the start of the 86 event, but they waged a fierce battle with the Joest car until the later met it's end. Porsche was probably miffed that Joest beat them in 85, but didn't have a problem tuning to them to run the semi-works Italia car in 89.

Also remember the front radiatoried Blapunkt 962 that won the last ever world championship victory for Porsche at Dijon in 89. It was a pretty radical concept for the 962 and Joest surely had some factory help on that car. They ran the then dominant Mercedes C-9's down and beat them in a straight fight. Good work for a privateer.

Joest had favored privateer status as early as LeMans 1980 when Joest ran a "908/80. That was a 936 built from one of the original 4 frames, but labelled a "908/80" so customers couldn't gripe about not being able to buy a 936 when Joest could. Funny that should come up. I am building one right now in 1/43.

And also rememeber that Joest handled the running of the Dauer 962 GT that won in 1994.

And in 1996, Porsche entrusted Joest with the TRW chassisied Porsche LMP as a back up plan to Porsche's own 911 GT-1 program. In both 96 and 97, Joest won the race after the factory cars faultered, saving the bacon yet again for Stuggart.

So it was pretty surprising to see Joest jumping ship to Audi in 1999, but I believe that yet again, Porsche is entrusting Joest, and now Audi, to run it's sportscar program. I have been right on top- of those cars and i swear they have all the presence of a Porsche. They even look like a Porsche when they are running. It's just this errie feeling I get that Porsche is behind the whole thing.