View Single Post
Old 13 Apr 2005, 16:24 (Ref:1277284)   #29
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Slowly, the tide is turning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
That's odd because I thought the only reason cyberdorf made the suggestion in the first place was due was his reluctance to accept GTs no longer had top billing (see his first post).
Yes I guess a conspiratorial undertone can be found in everything if you just look hard enough. Seriously now, the GTs have lost whatever "top billing" they may have had the moment the ETCC was set up. The factories have the money, they call the shots. With WTCC, the GTs are no more than an unloved support race. We'll see what happens; Ratel may get fed up with it and take the GTs elsewhere, or WTCC may go up in smoke again (that's unlikely, I know ).

Quote:
Why stop here. How about adding a few Formula Renault cars to the back of an F1 grid,
...GP2?

Quote:
or have a round of the FIA GT championship decided on a drag strip?
Makes for good television I'm sure. And isn't this what it's all about. They could make their driver change at the end of the run, then turn around and make a run back to the start

Quote:
I'm not trying to put down GTs or endurance racing - if that's what you enjoy then fair enough. As I said before, don't try to turn a series into something it's not. I'm sure many GT fans would have the same reaction if I suggested turning running the championship as a series of 10 lap sprints.
And wouldn't you know it, this suggestion keeps popping up every couple of years (FIA-GT used to be 4 hours, now it's 3...). Everything's been done before. In the eyes of an ETCC fan of 30 years ago, isn't the current WTCC format "turning the series into something it's not"?