Thread: Viewing figures
View Single Post
Old 20 May 2000, 03:24 (Ref:1068)   #1
Ed-f1
Racer

Ed-f1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
About 60 billion people a year watch Formula 1 according to the official viewing figures. That's 10 times the population of the earth. How do they come up with these ridiculous figures? I know the answer to my own question which is that it is an aggurate figure over the whole year. Even if you divide by the number of races and qualifying sessions though that's still 2 billion. I mean how many people in places like China, India and Africa watch Formula 1. In Australia they don't show the qualifying anyway and in England they're happy with 7 million viewers of the British GP. So where do all the rest of them come from? I think I know the answer to that one as well actually. The figure includes any news broadcasts of Formula 1. Isn't that a bit stupid? People are generally not watching the news just because they want to find out what happened in the F1. Why can't they use a figure which isn't totally meaningless like the average number of viewers per race or something? How many of those 60 billion people were me? About 6000 probably.