View Single Post
Old 6 Sep 2018, 06:35 (Ref:3848442)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Professional Historic Racers

When the Goodwood Revival started there were a smattering of professional or ex professional racers, in fact very few of the then current BTCC/GT etc. racers attended in any guise other than spectators.

Now, as with the Member's Meeting, it appears that most of the drivers are paid professionals, or they have bought/built the cars and run them, sharing with other professionals. E.g. the Jordan team.

Even the Silverstone Classic is becoming more of a professional event rather than the Classic/Historic club racing festival that it was originally.

It is perhaps a sign of the times, that with the complexity of modern cars, the freshness of normal power trains and ancient suspension systems is attracting those who can race. Or is it that the value of these cars is consistently increasing and thus good business can be had?

All of which, in my opinion, will reduce the input of the amateur racer, such as myself, since; a, it is increasingly difficult to compete; and b, the costs for entry are becoming too excessive. As an example, my Rover, in Tiff Needell's hands was third on the grid at the 73MM. Now we struggle to get 6th! The others have been developed beyond what I can really do. I do know what we need. But, should I have to do that in order to compete?

So, what to do? Well for me the Spa Classics and 6hrs meetings don't appear to be suffering from the influx of the professionals, so I can see more folks going back to those events and leaving the bigger festivals. Probably a good thing?

By the way I have to say that when racing against the professionals I've been treated with respect and haven't suffered any damage due to their driving standards so I've no complaints in that respect.

Thoughts?