View Single Post
Old 22 Jun 2018, 11:50 (Ref:3832486)   #33
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Timing definitely by Alkamel .

The Ardennes Challenge with Morgan Challenge qualifying was this morning. On pole with a stunning time of 2:40.7 are Olly Bryant and Dad Grahame in their class A Morgan. 2nd fastest was the first of the Crossle sports racers, 3.1 seconds slower. 3 more Crossles are then followed by the 2nd quickest Morgan, Phil Goddard with a time of 2:52.7. Missing from the meeting is usual championship contrender and potential race winner Keith Ahlers, as the meeting clashes with Masters visit to Most in the Czech Republic.

Simon Orebi Gann suffered the ignominy of being the first car to break down, his modern ARV6 Roadster suffering a computer or ECU related glitch on the first lap that stopped the engine. (Don’t get that problem with plugs and points..... ) A lap or two later the +4 of Alan House sheared an oil cooler take off from the engine which started a slick from before Fagnes to the exit of Campus. I saw the display flashing orange and black, then as I hit the oil remembered what it meant! Fortunately no one went off on the oil.

My own 1959 +4 turns out to be the only FIA spec car in the field, and I managed to qualify 31st out of 50 with a time of 3:14.4. Well pleased with that, for a car that hasn’t raced since 2012, and still has same engine and tyres! Interesting how developement has moved on, however, as the latest spec engines in the SLR and +4 I usually race feel about 30bhp more, and rev at least 500rpm higher..... Having said that, recent experience suggests they are more fragile as well.

First 40 minute race at 0915 tomorrow. No pit stops for the Morgan cars, although the rest of the grid will have a compulsory 1 minute.....