Thread: How to fix F1?
View Single Post
Old 26 Feb 2021, 16:37 (Ref:4037164)   #1909
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
financial numbers being reported and FOM have reported a loss of 386m for 2020.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...aign=widget-22

no surprise really.

the budget cap, carry over the chassis and the looming engine freeze will help teams reduce costs but it might take years to recover after the pandemic so what will be the knock on effect?

going forward, how much can we rely on the manus to have the same interests as the sport, particularly as road car design and function moves towards automation and infotainment. so how will F1 hedge itself against that possible future?

the return of cheaper/older spec purpose built race engine could allow for independents to reenter the sport and without the manus being allowed to drive up the costs then those independents might have a chance to succeed. and thus be willing to stick around in case the big manus leave.

with a careful eye on how RB will manage the former Honda program but there decision (although i think it still may be a negotiation tactic) to go at it themselves may be indicative of a paradigm shift

we roughly equate the start of the manu era being 2000 onwards. with Honda, BMW and Toyota joining the grid and Mercs gradual build up to works status.

now with RB's new in house approach, Merc selling (part of) its stake, Mclaren back on the rise, niche auto brands returning, small teams winning races...the shift away from manus may have already begun.

older engines may be exactly what the covid doctor ordered!