Thread: Lola T222
View Single Post
Old 11 Oct 2004, 22:03 (Ref:1121601)   #7
Steve Holmes
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Steve Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always thought this was one of the best looking Can-Am cars. Nice shape, and really tough looking.

The factory team cars raced in 1970 were called T220s. Peter Revson raced this one with L&M colours. The first car had a very short 88" wheelbase, and was wrecked at Road Atlanta. Its replacement was 10" longer.

The customer cars available the following year were called T222s. The most obvious difference from what I can tell is the customer cars had two solid pieces of fibreglass which ran upwards from the rear of the rollbar back to the rear wing mounts. The works cars from 1970 didn't have these.

I have a magazine ad of the L&M car which ran in Supersports in Europe in the early 90s by John Hunt. It was advertsied as the Haas car driven by Revson. But the ad also says it was a 71 model, and a T222, so it can't be the Revson car. Also, it has the fibreglass strips mentioned earlier.

The Rosso Bianco museum brought out their T222 and raced it at the Silverstone Historic festival in 1991, driven by Richard Piper. It was very fast and won one of the races. Must have gone back into the museum.

Joe Wally raced one in the USA in the mid 90s, which I thought might have been the Hiroshi Kazato Can-Am car, as they have similar paintjobs.

The Bennetts also raced a red one very successfully in historic events which they took to Europe a few times. They also have a 1969 Simonez T163 with the high wing, and a Turbo Shadow.