View Single Post
Old 11 May 2017, 16:15 (Ref:3732836)   #39
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
It is the FIA and FOM's responsibility to promote these events. The simple question one only needs to ask is what the heck are the circuits paying their multi-million dollar sanctioning fees for?
Much of the recent posts are very UK/Silverstone centric, but the above statement is one that strikes a chord with me. From my limited understanding it seems that in general...

* The race promoter is expected to promote the race, but from the perspective of selling tickets for the physical race.
* The broadcast rights holder is expected to promote the race, but from the perspective of those who would be watching on TV

Who is promoting F1 in general? I would think that F1 (Liberty via FOM) should be leading the charge with respect to marketing/promotion. That while the various pieces of the pie (broadcaster, race promoter, etc.) have their individual responsibilities, it should be carried out under a larger umbrella driven by F1 and with a specific marketing strategy and message that flows down into the partners (tracks, broadcasting and maybe even teams to a degree). And that includes a specific amount of promotion that they manage on their own (not related to tracks, TV, etc.).

To the point that Silverstone seems to be sold out on a regular basis, I would expect that maybe F1 would prioritize how and where they devote monetary resources. So they may spend less in the UK and more elsewhere (such as US?) Focus on developing markets, or areas where penetration is low and they can expect some growth.

Richard