View Single Post
Old 12 Apr 2014, 02:00 (Ref:3391349)   #121
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I'd like to see a new team come in from scratch, rather than the remains of a team morphing into a new one.
When was the last time a new F1 team came in from 100% scratch and won a race in the modern era of F1?
Or even finished on the podium?

I'm assuming Gene Haas has ambitions of winning a race. Or finishing on the podium. That task is made much more difficult if you start from scratch today. The most recent team to start from scratch is Team Lotus (Caterham F1) in 2010. Not doing so well, and could be shutting up shop at the end of this season according to team owner Tony Fernandes.

I think McLaren, Williams, Scuderia Ferrari, Sauber and Caterham are the only current teams to start from scratch. Technically, Williams F1 started with a March chassis, so not 100% from scratch either. Even Scuderia Ferrari was affiliated with Alfa Romeo before they were Scuderia Ferrari. All the other current teams were all formed after a buy out of another team.

I cannot see Hass' F1 team winning a GP, or a podium finish as Hass F1 in their first five years, minimum - if they start from scratch. But I hope I'm proven wrong, as I would love to see a new team fighting up front with the best.