View Single Post
Old 6 Nov 2019, 19:44 (Ref:3938923)   #3
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I could see that MAYBE in the LeMans break but they surely can't run it after the season and weren't the GTD teams some of the loudest complainers about season cost? Would they give up race(s) to fit this in their schedule? I think they would have to give up Daytona and maybe Sebring for another enduro. I know for me Sebring is the better race and better track, Daytona gets dull mid-race and I lose interest until the last couple hours. I'm not sure I could watch 8 hours at Indy, even with a full Indy 33 car field. The SRO field by that point in the season could look dreadful there, and IMSA GTD/LMP3 would be as bad I think.

It seems like there is an ownership draw for more events at Indy per season but is there really a fan demand for it?? It does not appear there is for stock cars, I wouldn't be surprised if more paying customers were there for the Indy GP than the Brickyard and the ratings were dismal by Cup standards. I know they want F1 back but was it that great a race the last time around? It's not a great track and COTA is a better show of open wheel cars on a road course. I liked the timing as a few years it was the afternoon of LeMans weekend which usually falls around my birthday so 2 race weekend. But with the new cooperation I think the 24th weekend each year is now F1/FE free, supposedly at least.

1. Agree that COTA is a better circuit than the Indy road course from a pure racing stand point

2. Events at the Indy speedway other than the 500 have not really established itself as popular event. So fan demand is low indeed. Mr. Penske I guess thinks his organization can create that demand though. I guess it will be a goal of theirs

3. Sebring Encore will be a different watch, may not be used to see a race there with empty spectator sections

4. The middle of the night at Daytona 24 CAN be dull if there is a frequent number of safety car periods. But pretty darn cool if you can get multiple hours of green racing. If you get that, then that is when you see some reliability issues and mistakes occur.