Thread: Onboards..
View Single Post
Old 21 Jul 2009, 18:56 (Ref:2505661)   #26
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
But still, if current cars are close, as you say, why can't they overtake? Atleast cars could overtake then. It's hard to compare, really, but I suppose the closest thing to F1 cars in terms of technology, cornering speeds and variety of constructors etc is LMP racing - and when Audi and Peugeot floor it properly, which happens once or twice a season, it's the most exciting thing in motorsport.

The fastest single seaters are then GP2, IRL or FRenault 3.5. Both produce far better racing regularly than F1.
But GP2, IRL and FRenault 3.5 have drivers that make mistakes. The driving standards are lower. GP2 and the WSR are junior formulae with inexperienced drivers and reverse grids. And there's less pressure on the drivers as well - F1 team bosses, the stewards, the media and the keyboard jockeys like us are ruthless when drivers make mistakes and take other drivers out. Maybe if there was less pressure we'd see more drivers going for it

And whether endurance racing is exciting or not is open to debate. Personally, I enjoy it and I don't watch as much as I'd like to, as I think it's the closest thing (this side of the Atlantic) to what F1 used to be like - not much wheel-to-wheel but you have things like reliability issues, amateur drivers and proper minnows. A lot of people don't enjoy it, though, because it's very drawn out - it doesn't really fit in in the modern generation where everyone wants action immediately or else they'll switch over and watch football. Comparing F1 and endurance racing is like comparing one day cricket with test cricket, with junior formulae as Twenty20

I hear what you're saying because I've often thought the same way myself. But lately I've realised we expect too much. If you want a pure racing series, there will always be a certain percentage of bad races