View Single Post
Old 16 Feb 2021, 08:25 (Ref:4035379)   #24
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
1976 British GP, Brands Hatch. It pretty much had everything you could want in a race. A popular win, with the event itself steeped in controversy and drama, resulting in the subsequent disqualification of race winner, James Hunt. Prior to the British GP, Hunt had been recently reinstated as winner of the Spanish GP, after his initial disqualification from that race. You couldn't make it up.
I know the race has gone into legend , but it was unforgettable for some of the wrong reasons. I don't like mobs , but in the middle of the feverish crowd at Clearways baying for Hunt , it felt like being part of one, and the whole day, even at 8am , had felt a spit away from a riot. I guess the whole country had already gone slightly mad anyway in that baking summer .

I am maybe in the minority - I don't really care who wins , abhor the more xenophobic elements of fandom (Silverstone 92 ) and just want a good race.