View Single Post
Old 14 Dec 2018, 17:08 (Ref:3870274)   #28
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
essentially it's the autosport show with a bit more motion involved. like i say, that's a personal perspective - a lot of people very much enjoy it, but i'm not a massive fan of watching point to point racing like hillclimbs or rally trackside. the cars are great to look at and like andrewc says, there's a huge range there but personally, not for me.

it's a good event to tick off the list, and essentially a temporary museum for some seriously cool toys. but i'd struggle to do more than one day there, to be honest. personally i wouldn't bother with all four days at the fos, and i'd spend the entrance money on another bike event instead! the bsb at brands will be brilliant, that's a great choice. if you fancy some grass roots bikes as well, the thundersport events are a good day trip, very well run events with a good range of machinery about.
I've been to FOS as few times - I always find that doing it in one day means I'm pushed to see everything I want to. If you watch all the groups of vehicles going up the hill that's half the day gone (I usually skip the road cars and bikes if possible - they're of no interest to me) . Then there's the rally stage which I personally enjoy - there's usually a good range of Group B cars being thrashed and you don't get that everywhere.

Wandering around the paddock area you can get incredibly close to the cars (head in cockpit close) and some of the cars really do need to be seen close up ("The Beast Of Turin" for example). There are cars at Goodwood that you just don't see anywhere else - I shudder to think of the combined value of the cars in the Goodwood paddocks!

It's not an event to do every year - but it's certainly one to tick off the list if you've never been. IIRC the Thursday at FOS is very much road car stuff and not motorsport (although the proper toys will be in the paddocks by that point anyway) so that's worth thinking about when sorting tickets.