View Single Post
Old 23 Oct 2008, 08:56 (Ref:2318848)   #30
Nero
Racer

Nero should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher
Christine Gibson was one hell of a steerer but unfortunately fits into the same Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda category as a whole heap of other female drivers over the decades.

It has nothing to do with law of averages, there are as many females as males interested in this sport although some are a bit shy to advertise it and don't readily come out of the closet.

No female ever has or ever will win a championship of a major importance, they simply don't have the gonads when it comes down to the bottom line.

They might make a bit of a substantial ripple on the surface for a while, but in the end for whatever reason, they always have and always will fail to deliver in the end.

What ever way you look at it, this is fact.
********. If you understood the statistics you would see that there are many V8 supercar drivers and past touring car drivers that never amounted to much from their results as far as wins, let alone at a lower level. Then take into account how many women actively compete...however you are creating a closed loop. No woman would bother attempting a sport that she might be good at if she has to confront attitudes as you express in this thread. I have spoken to one of the current good women drivers mentioned in this thread and she noted that two other girls, that she felt were better than her left Karts simply because of the fathers of other kid drivers kept telling them that 'women are not as good as men' etc. I see your expressed attitude (I do not say that it is your real belief) as the real problem, rather than any particular failing.
However I might suggest that we (people who like motorsport) *desperately* need many more women to be involved in the driving simply to strengthen the position of motorsport in general when it comes under increased environmental pressure in the future. If it is perceived as just a 'sport for blokes' then you are going to have more than 50% of Australia's population (i.e. the women) not giving a rats arse about any logical argument about motorsports real or perceived worth.
Frankly one day I hope I can drive almost as good as Leanne Tander - I doubt many on this forum can do so.