View Single Post
Old 19 Feb 2005, 08:45 (Ref:1229996)   #64
Forbesy
Racer

Forbesy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SKAIFE & LION NATHAN JOIN FORCES IN NEW V8 TEAM

After sponsoring the famous Bathurst 1000 race for many years, the New Zealand based brewery Lion Nathan will make a return to the sport with a brand new team to be based out of Adelaide.

In what will come as a shock to many, the team has managed to lure the highly rated Mark Skaife from the recently troubled HRT to join the new team, which is planning to have two brand new VZ Commodores on the track for the non championship opener at the Australian Grand Prix in early March. Skaife will be keen to prove to all that he has still 'got what it takes' to win races and championships.

Partnering Skaife will be Cameron McConville, who will relish the chance to show his abilities in what will undoubtedly be a competitive car.

Joining the new team as general manager will be Fred Gibson, who is looking forward to the challenge of turning the team into a consistent performer.

Rumours have already started flying about who the team will recruit for the endurance races later in the year. Mika Hakkinen, multiple Le Mans winner Tom Kristensen and the king of comebacks, Peter Brock. Brock, who will turn 60 next week, has been quoted as saying "I just want to give it one final red hot go. Dr Eric Dowker and myself have been hard at work developing a new polarizer that will make me feel 30 years younger." Initial tests have proved to be inconclusive.

Brock will test the car in the coming months to see if he can get anywhere near the pace required.

More details including livery will be released in the forthcoming weeks.

Name: TOOHEYS RACING
Sponsor(s): Tooheys, Qantas, Nautica, Mobil
Drivers:
#2 MARK SKAIFE
#23 CAMERON McCONVILLE
Manufacturer: HOLDEN