Thread: CSCC THRUXTON
View Single Post
Old 31 May 2020, 12:25 (Ref:3979446)   #9
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Gerard, for info - in UK when we get our race licence (after passing what is called an ARDS test - a brief paper test and a few laps round a circuit with an instructor to try to weed out any complete idiots) we have to have a yellow patch with a black X on it on the back of the car until we have completed six races without any transgressions - we have to get an upgrade card signed by the clerk of the course each race. Its basically a system to simultaneously warn other competitors that you are a novice, and to act as a sort of control on anyone trying too hard too soon. When I started, as I was sharing the car with my experienced mate, I had to have the novice cross, but he didn't, and as he refused to drive around with a cross on, he made up a folding cross, so that it was fastened closed when he was in and as I took over, he flipped the catch to unveil my "badge of shame" We celebrated when I got my sixth signature and could remove the device!

You can get one of your 6 upgrade signatures for volunteering as a marshal (I did this), and my view is that this should actually be mandatory - it certainly gives you a better insight into how important marshals are.