Thread: Rules Future Rule Changes
View Single Post
Old 15 Jan 2016, 21:45 (Ref:3605218)   #1407
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
According to this article, http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122501, refueling could return in 2017.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
If you want to see a car change places then wait for the fuel stop. Been there seen that idea no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I really want to be cynical and say "Pit fires really spice things up", but in reality WEC makes it work. But that is also not an argument for doing it in F1. Maybe they should include a driver change. Two cars, four drivers, two of the four are celebrity guest drivers. So Lewis gets out after running his maximum number of laps and then Elton John jumps in and finishes the race. Or something like that.

Richard
Ah, but there is an inherent danger in using refuelling in F1 which has to considered. Yes, they do refuel in WEC and other series, but they tend to be mostly endurance type races, where being stationary for 20 or 30 seconds is marginally insignificant in a race that is 6 hours or so long. But even so, how many times do we see a car leaving the "box" with part of the refueling jig still attached. In F1, the the whole refuel/wheel change process is accelerated by a factor of around 4 times, and so the danger factor likewise raises proportionally.

And, I'm afraid, Todt is talking out of his rear end about the costs of dragging all the refuelling rigs around the world. When they were in use previously, because of the ridiculous cost of the rigs themselves (which I am sure would be the same this time around), they had to be flown around between the fly-away races, adding yet another Boeing 747 freighter to the flying circus. That, Mr Todt, will cost one hell of a lot more than £50,000 for a whole year; I would guess that would cost more than that for each team, let alone 11 teams. And as they have to be transported empty, you are paying a huge amount of money for just moving a metal container of air around the world.

Basically, what Todt, et al are saying is that because they have messed up the regulations so much that the only way that they can think of re-introducing competition into a Grand Prix is by artificially "spicing up the show".