View Single Post
Old 20 Mar 2005, 18:33 (Ref:1257175)   #55
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Heebeegeetee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I recall reading about GV at Watkins Glen. Yep, most of the drivers thought it ridiculous to go out in those conditions. I seem to recall a story something like: Jaques Lafitte was one who stayed in. He was talking to a journalist in the pit lane, when a set of whacking great rooster tails of water shot past on the track, accompanied by a howling flat 12. "Wow! Who was that... oh, it's Gilles... oh, it could only be Gilles" shaking head and laughing with the journo.

I hadn't thought of D Hill as a great wet driver until reminded of his success, notably Suzuka '94. Jeez, the pressure he was under in that race. I'm not a fan of Hill, but he did put in some great drives, and that one was amongst the very best. And then the win in the Jordan, which was followed by the greatest non-story of all time, when his team mate felt he had been robbed of a win, having been slower than Hill all weekend. He only caught up because Hill had slowed down.

I can't recall Alesi doing much special in the wet. I possibly did think he was good at the time, until Schuey showed us the truth. Can someone remind me why Alesi is regarded as a good wet driver? (This is a serious question, in case someone has the idea I'm flaming or whatever, which I've never done in my life).