View Single Post
Old 24 Jun 2001, 16:34 (Ref:109128)   #1
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Vandas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Channel 10 and AVESCO

From watching todays coverage, it appears that there is no such thing as a race organising body anymore.

It appears that all senior officials are AVESCO or CAMS head office members, and that all trackside marshalls are Flag Marshalls.

They did a piece on senior race organisors. There was no mention of the Clerk of Course, no mention of the Race Secretary. In fact they went so far as to say that Tim Schenken had full control over the racing. The fact is that the Clerk of Course has the full say of what happens on the race track.

My father has in fact Red Flagged a session because AVESCO and CAMS would not tell the Clerk of Course (which was him at the time) what they were organising and getting through on their radios.

This is a major problem if a major incident occurs on the track. The Clerk of Course is liable in a Court Of Law, as he/she is the senior most official in Race Control. Yet if the Race Director makes the call, and the Clerk of Course backs down. The Clerk of Course still remains liable, unless he gets the Race Director to sign a waver stating that he will take full responsibility for any actions resulting one of his decisions.

If Race Organisation is going to advance in this country we need to sort out the top level, as there is currently too big a grey area.

I hope I made some sense. If you would like me to expand more on my comments I will.

thanks