View Single Post
Old 21 Jul 2020, 20:41 (Ref:3990065)   #190
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
I think that it's possible for a DTM GT3 and the ADAC GT Masters to coexist.

The DTM has single-driver cars and all pros. The ADAC GT Masters can switch to pro-am.
On paper, yes. It is absolutely possible.
But:
First of all, if teams and sponsors are already participating in ADAC GT Masters, will they be willing to go to DTM? They could combine both programmes but this costs money. I think teams like WRT, Schubert, GRT Grasser or Zakspeed are fine with options they have - run 'German' programmes in GT Masters and do some international championships as well. Would they add DTM to their programme? Only if they have spare money or if they decide DTM is so attractive commercially for them and their partners.
I'm sceptical about it for now, I'm not so sure whether ADAC GT teams and sponsors would really think DTM would give them much more. I may be wrong but it's not like comparison between F3 and F1.

When it comes to professionals and pro-am, again, technically there is a chance but someone has to pay these professionals, that's the first thing and remember that these are Audi and BMW that give most €€€ to the sport, not the sponsors. And, despite comments made by Berger, ADAC GT Masters is not a championship for 'hobby drivers.' Manuel Reuter rightly said there are many top-level pros in GTM, like Kelvin van der Linde, Nick Yelloly, Maro Engel, Mirko Bortolotti, Chris Mies and others. Some of them are factory drivers of Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Lamborghini etc.

Such a division that professionals and factory drivers go to DTM, while smaller teams and 'hobby racers' go to ADAC could work but someone would need to sort of making it official, i.e. make some rules for that. It's completely impossible to happen unless ADAC and ITR cooperate, which won't happen.
There would be one more way to make such a division - manufacturers, big teams and sponsors would need to be certain DTM is the right way to go. But how can Berger make it?