View Single Post
Old 23 Feb 2018, 15:44 (Ref:3803428)   #1311
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
so obviously fans like us are pretty much in agreement...the HALO, despite its best intentions, looks horrible.

once the world at large sees them at the first race, will opinion reach another level of scrutiny and public backlash?

will this be like the failed change in quali from a few years back...when the world sees it in action for the first time, will the negative attention be enough for them to change the rules early/mid season?
I had posted awhile back something similar. I think there is a group who follow F1 during the off season (us) and most of that group are aware of what is going on and what it looks like. I think there is another tier of fans who are long standing F1 fans, but generally just start to pay attention as the first race weekend approached. I do expect there to be quite a large outcry from that second group who might currently be blissfully ignorant of what it looks like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
so question, can the HALO be removed at this point?

maybe not during the early season fly away races but by the time they return for the European portion of the season?
Short of a clear safety issue evolving during the year in which some type of serious accident is blamed by the Halo and that justification for removal can be on safety grounds I think there is next to zero chance it will be removed this year. Everyone will suck it up and deal with it. I wouldn't even put money on it being removed next year. Especially from a liability perspective they will need to have a replacement in the wings (and we already know they move extremely slow on this topic).

If Indycar windscreen proves successful during 2018 then I can imagine we might see something different (windscreen or canopy) for the 2020 season. I can imagine it's adoption for other series may be stopped (assuming they are not past a point of no return).

Richard