View Single Post
Old 1 Jun 2000, 23:35 (Ref:1949)   #4
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If I had my way, it wouldn't be "should they dump Monaco", but "When will they reinstate Pau?"

Poor Ron. Prehistoric, huh? Better dust off the 38-ton short wheelbase hospitality truck, rather than the normal 44-tonner, if they're that pushed for space.

For me, I want to see Monaco GP's for as long as there are internal combustion engines, and there are people willing to race them.

As to safety, if I remember rightly, Monaco has only had one fatality in its history. Lorenzo Bandini in 1967. And it can be argued that accident would have been survivable if not for a TV helicopter getting in the way of the rescue effort.

And I'm not quite sure, but I'm fairly confident that apart from that, no driver has ever had a career-ending injury at the Principality. That's a lot more than can be said for Silverstone, Monza, Montreal which have all been tweaked and sanitized in the cause of safety.