Thread: Books Autocourse Yearbooks
View Single Post
Old 10 Sep 2006, 22:16 (Ref:1707445)   #14
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Pete Fenelon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimD
I absolutely agree with Ensign14's assessment of the value of relative eras of Autocourse. There's only one spike which you've missed, which is the 1978-9 one. Andretti's championship year is a little trickier than the other Hazleton distribution era books, and I've still never heard quite why.

I've even heard one bookseller suggest that the ship carrying the consignment for the US distributors foundered somewhere in the Atlantic!

Suffice to say, while £100 will get you a good 1976-77 or 1977-78 edition, I'd suggest that you budget £135 or so for a very nice '78-9.

Dustwrappers are critical to these values though. They've got to be smart, minimal fraying and with the original published price still intact on the inner. If the jacket is tatty, the book will only fetch a fraction of the price, which is good news if you need one for reference purposes.
I started buying Autocourse new with the 1988-89 edition and have gone back from 87-88 to 75-76 without ever breaking the £100 quid (inc p&p) barrier, but several of mine are without DJ - ironically mostly the mid-eighties ones. The Jag edition of '83-'84 seems to be cheaper than the ordinary one.

Seems that there's nothing less than £100 pre-75 though.