View Single Post
Old 9 Mar 2020, 17:47 (Ref:3962561)   #105
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I suppose I just don't get the excitement with either Imola or Barcelona.

Imola is better in some ways, without the Variente Bassa for cars, but I wish they'd kept the nice, sweeping feel of the front stretch, rather than realigning it with those couple of more abrupt kinks. And with that pronounced kink after the pits, it's always been iffy whether you could overtake into the first chicane. Sorry, but the chicanes that people say are never going away are the exact ones that have to go if Imola is ever to be properly "fixed" again.

As for Barcelona, why can't the GT cars just run the 2003 F1 layout? You get a slightly longer back stretch with a more flowing corner after. You also lose that bloody chicane between the final two turns. So the track isn't only faster, but you get more multi-line corners, and the cars are markedly less spread out due to the accordion effect as they release onto the front straight. (Shoot, if it's acceptable for GT3s to run at Bathurst or the Nordschleife, this should be a non-issue.)

I guess, partly, I'm wondering why they couldn't reschedule it at Monza if it's several months out. By that point, either it'll be as okay as it's going to be for quite some time, or all of Italy is going to be off-limits, so it won't matter where they tried to put it. I'd have taken Mugello or Vallelunga over Imola, but if they were going with this set of venues, just keep Barcelona as a sprint round and have the final enduro at Imola. And as far as Spain goes, for a sprint round, I'd take Jarama over any other option, unless they were going to run the motorcycle layout at Jerez.

Last edited by Purist; 9 Mar 2020 at 18:11.