View Single Post
Old 20 May 2018, 18:35 (Ref:3823593)   #390
Badlands99
Racer

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Badlands99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As for Silverstone, personally, and I'm sure plenty will disagree, I find is a pretty souless and boring place to watch racing. Compared to Spa, or somewhere like Brands, it's boring and corporate and not a spectator friendly venue.[/QUOTE]

Have to agree with you ........

I grew up with the F1 GP alternating between BH and Silverstone and used to hate the years where it was based at that big old bomber base ......... but times change and we have to realise that the smaller 'real' circuits like BH just cannot safely contain the fastest cars of today.

But, I also agree that Spa just does it so much better! Went to the 24 hrs two years ago and other that Le Mans, there really isn't a better race to go to - great access, friendly stewards, almost unlimted photo opportunities - just a brilliant place to watch REAL racing drivers!

Silverstone is not designed for spectators or photographers at all and actually they really would rather you were not there at all! They make it as difficult as possible to take photos even if you have serious kit which I am fortunate enough to own ................... BH used to be great - until this year! The GP loop is now a waste of time due to the 'DTM' fences although it did mean that for the BP sprint two weeks ago I did manage to find a few places that I hadn't tried before.

Just a small antidote from the Spa 24 hrs two years ago ................ on the Thursday evening practice, I was in the paddock overlooking the exit from La Source and found a guy with full on climbing gear anchored to the top of the debris fencing, taking pictures over the top of the fence and no one batting an eye lid! In the UK he wouldn't have even got in with that much rope!

Also on the Tuesday afternoon when the Bronze driver test was still going on and other teams were completing scrutineering, we are walking up and down the live pit lane ......allowed because we were keeping out of the way and talking to all the teams - just brilliant!

Going again this year, as I cannot think of any where else that can produce this sort of atmosphere where everybody is welcome.

Spectators are welcomed and encouraged - take note Silverstone!