View Single Post
Old 1 Jan 2010, 18:59 (Ref:2607118)   #11
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
Think that's all of '86.

Re the Class D Novas, IIRC, Lanfranchi's was his regular Monorep prodsaloon. Kaye's at the GP meeting might have been a full Group A Nova. Kaye raced a Nova in prodsaloons, but I dont recall whether Containerships were his regular sponsor or not- they did sponsor a 2-car Vauxhall rally team, running a Group A Astra GT/E (Tony Saddington) and Nova (Chris Birkbeck) with distinctive registration numbers.
If Containerships weren't his regular prodsaloon entrant, could Kaye have been using Birkbeck's rally Nova?
More on the James Kaye Nova at the '86 British GP. It was apparently entered/sponsored by 'Containerships' who were active on the UK rally scene at the time with a pair of Vauxhalls in a distinctive yellow & white colourscheme, with equally distinctive registration numbers- '79BAT' on Birkbeck's Nova, and I think '68BAT' or similar on the Astra. I don't think I remember them being active in prodsaloons as well, but won't swear to this

If it was the Containerships Group A rally Nova that Kaye used at the GP meeting, rather than his own prodsaloon, then this could be the car in question (seen here with Chris Birkbeck on the Manx Rally)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/howiend...l-1273065@N23/

All we need now is a pic of Kaye at the GP....