View Single Post
Old 13 Feb 2020, 14:12 (Ref:3957435)   #32
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Does that in any way explain why there seem to be more motorway lorry fires that start in the areas of the engine these days?

When I was a regular M-way user I saw relatively few fires and those I did see usually seemed to be related to things like un-noticed punctures or possibly sticking brakes on artic trailers.

These days there seam to be many more and with so many photos and videos published we have visual evidence that seems to suggest the fires have started in the area of the engine rather than somewhere further back.

This is sort of Zafira and BMW territory (and Ferrari but for different reasons).

I get the impression that a lot of BMW fires are diesel rather than petrol related which would be counter-intuitive to my old-school expectations. But back that diesels were nothing like as complex as they are now so perhaps less prone to dramatic conflagrations? (also fewer of them in the terms of cars but the lorry and van fire incidence compared to fleet size appears to be higher these days.

I suppose there will be some sort of stats around somewhere.
During a DPF Re-Generation the inside of the filter can reach temperatures of 600°C,this is generally why a lot are only done when moving (and often above a minimum of 50KPH) so there is sufficient air-flow over the exhaust.
Regarding the BMW engine fires, I think that a lot of these are related to faults within the Exhaust Gas Recirculation system and plastic inlet manifolds.