View Single Post
Old 8 Jul 2019, 04:08 (Ref:3916443)   #66
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Was wondering whether there might be more investigation into the BJR #8 fire yesterday... the siamesed fuel filler appeared to be leaking some Shell motion lotion before ever coupling onto the car... and not just a little bit.

The fire could have definitely been significantly worse...
Unless something dramatic has changed, I'd expect more investigation from Supercars and possibly from CAMS as well (team has already said they'll be doing that too). The fuel was bucketing out of the hose long before it was on the car - looked like the hose may have come off the coupling - not good. Apart from the fire risk, I guess it would also mean that the team didn't comply with the regulations of fuel fill for that car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Surprised the person on the "dead man" lever didn't activate it to immediately shut off the flow of fuel. Also surprised the extinguishers and fire marshals didn't preemptively douse the then un-burnt fuel before dropping the car down with it's hot exhaust.
Agree completely re dead-man - that was my immediate reaction as it was happening - may have simply had a "human" moment and froze - it happens.
Also agree with fire suppressant but I don't think that the marshals or extinguisher people from the team had a chance to do it really - the car was dropped and gonski before there was an opportunity.

The competitive juices were flowing and it's bloody hard for a team to switch from competitive to safety mode quickly in that situation - the car should probably have been left in the air, suppression taken place on top of the fuel and when clear, the car dropped and sent but it's easy to say that on Monday with hindsight - at the time, a tough call.

Non-firesuit people at the front of the garage during refuelling stops is an issue though and needs to be looked at - it may need some kind of further identification within the garage to manage it but definitely something to look at.