Thread: Strut Flex???
View Single Post
Old 24 Aug 2019, 08:28 (Ref:3923971)   #3
Trikes
Rookie

Australia
Australia Hobart
Trikes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Ok much has been learned about the dreaded DC5.

Firstly a chap in North America (SHG) happened upon my gripes on my FB Page and said he had a 'fix'. Said he knew exactly what was going on.

He explained that it is a very common problem with DC5's and a couple of other Honda's which have the Trailing Arms linking up ahead and in the centre of the Rack. The Trailing Arms mount on a alloy block and this has two bolts which go through a plastic thingy and bolts to the Rack.

The Factory plastic spacer is the culprit!!!

So I replaced it with the SHG Delrin Spacer and hey presto all problems disappeared - well almost. I like most other people had looked at the dreadful angle of the Trailing Arms and thought that can't be right so I spaced them up until they were level. This actually made things much worse. The correct angle of the Arms is about 7 degree's down to the centre. Evan (SHG) told me to get a Tegiwa Rack Raiser as my DC5 is lowered about 40mm and if your Arms are at the std angle it will steer like a problem child.

Tegiwa Rack Raiser arrived. Put the SHG Delrin Spacer in behind the Rack Raiser, set the Trailing Arms at 7 degrees.
One more thing you will run out of Toe Adjustment badly when you lower a DC5. The fix is a set of Hard Race Triple Adjustable Steering Arms.

Stuck the car back on the Wheel Aligner, hit the track and preceded to have endless win after win after win. I kid you not. With just a 2.2 na engine and c/r box this car is always in the top couple of cars Outright.

Who'd have thought! After chasing my tail for ages terrorizing Turbo AWD cars is the norm. (Not had NA V8's even go close to me).

Recently I raced a Super Sprint day where from Standing Starts a group of 4 cars race against the clock. I was against an EVO, a GTR Nissan and a hot as heck EVO race car. I disposed of the EVO R/C off the Line and was up with the GTR but he shut the door. For three laps the turbo cars got away from me down the straights but I had to get out of the throttle in the corners least I run into their rears. Anyway the Officials noticed they were getting in my way and sent me out in the next group where I jumped ahead early and preceded to set FTD (2.4 seconds faster than the first Heat) until the last run when the EVO Racer jumped my Time. So 2nd Outright was a happy place indeed. There have been many days placing well and always winning my Class (except once in the wet) since sorting the Steering. So the bits need were:

Tegiwa Rack Raiser UK

SHG Delrin Spacer North America

Hard Race Triple Adjustable Steering Arms (Sydney)
1.9 degree's Caster
2 degrees Camber

Recently I went under the 60 second barrier at my local track. This is the arena held exclusively for Turbo Awd cars. Serious head scratching going on.

Last edited by Trikes; 24 Aug 2019 at 08:37.