View Single Post
Old 18 Apr 2017, 11:50 (Ref:3727538)   #105
Team Lotus
Rookie

Team Lotus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
I haven't looked over the ruleset, but I am curious as to what freedoms are allowed these days. I do recall that back when the abovementioned Camry and MX6 first hit the track, what was allowed beyond how it left the showroom floor, was very minimal.
The modifications allowed are still very minimal:
  • Engine must be standard or rebuilt to as-standard specification (i.e., no increase of bore nor stroke, no lighter conrods, no lighter pistons, no porting, no hot cams)
  • Header and turbo must be as standard (exhaust from header-back or turbo-back (if fitted) is free) -- if the OEM catalytic converter is built in to the OEM header, it may be "de-cored"
  • Free choice of coilover suspension unit
  • Suspension geometry must be as standard (bushings can be replaced, suspension arms can be replaced with aftermarket parts of equivalent geometry to standard)
  • Drive by wire may be replaced by a cable throttle
  • ECU and engine mapping is free -- Good for turbo cars
  • Throttle body and intake must be standard
  • Brakes are free but number of pistons can only be incrased to maximum 4 front or 2 rear (unless car comes with standard with up to 6 pistons front and rear, when the number of pistons of the racing brake caliper may match the OE brake caliper)
  • Radiator width and height must match OE radiator, however thickness is free

That's pretty much it. They are fundamentally a standard vehicle prepared for circuit use. Air con may be removed, and all the safety equipment and fuel cell must be added of course.

http://bathurst6hour.com.au/sites/de...-3E-2017-1.pdf

Having read the Hyundai Excel series regulations, the modifications allowed there are very similar, and the Excels should be eligible regardless of being invited. Toyota 86 Series cars however would NOT be eligible as those cars run an aftermarket header.