Old 19 Sep 2007, 16:13 (Ref:2018071)   #8
David L
Racer

United Kingdom
Lancashire, UK
David L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JurekB
Sounds good, I'll have a go at that and I'd agree that 5 pictures is probably too much. A maximum of 2 should be more than enough.
Actually, if this is to be a "photographer of the year" contest, as opposed to a "photo of the year" contest, you'd want to see and judge on a representative selection from the year, demonstrating variety and a consistent quality..

Digi cams and lenses are such these days that it's hard to take a bad picture from a technical point of view (exposure, focus etc).. and we can all get lucky now and again with something arty.. (think of it this way.. any of us who have gone horse racing get lucky now and again on the betting.. how many of us can truly say our lucky wins are more than luck..?)

What I'd want to see from competitors is a consistent quality, over a number of events, even when the chips are down.. "Quality", in my eyes, is being able to produce something and (if you are working to a brief, fulfil that brief) even on those days when the chips are down, life is stacked against you, you just left half your lenses and your computer's power supply at home, etc, and magic just will not come..

..and so I suggest the competition be judged on a gallery of, say, 36 shots from anybody wanting to enter.. It seems to me there are plenty of free ways to uploaded pictures using a server/website/whatever.. Links can be posted here..

Just my thoughts..