Old 14 Mar 2008, 18:08 (Ref:2151824)   #30
Rich D
Racer

Canada
Acton, Ontario
Rich D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by danccooke
I agree with the sentiment and if you are aproaching a fire that is fine, but.... if you are at the car which apparently is ok and the fire decides it wants to approach you. You can find yourself in a warm position very quickly and unitentionally. Example the Martin Stretton crash at Goodwood Revival last year in the ISO Bizzarini (spelling). On approach from my angle there was no fire. Moments later large fire, toasty warm bum. Two powder and two foam extringuishers used by other marshals. From crash to fire out 17 seconds, Rescue crew arrived at about 46 seconds ( I had a nice set of photo's sent to me with time stamps) The driver was in no way able to remove himself from the danger of the fire had we not put it.
Valid point, one which I cannot argue against. But it made me think....

Mostly, unless the car arrives at one's feet, most positions we work one would be hard pressed to reach the car in 17 seconds, let alone put a fire out. Even, probably 1, maybe 2 marshals - 2 fire bottles max (powder, no foam).

Which makes our SOP one of "Assess the situation, Call for Fire Truck, Then use your personal bottle." We train the mindset of your portable bottle is there to save yourself, help the driver, buy time until the fire truck gets there - but not a mindset of putting out a fully ingulfed fire.

Always interesting to compare and contrast the different ways of doing things - that way we can learn