View Single Post
Old 28 Apr 2021, 02:36 (Ref:4048189)   #31
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
The absolute best racing took place when there was not a huge amount of money around and certainly no manufacturers either, it was call sports sedans and the cars were engineering marvels not constrained by unnecessary rules. Free thinking was allowed and even encouraged and I was lucky enough to have seen it all.

It will never happen again for a whole lot of reasons including the dumb idea that tight restrictive rules save money. I think SC has proven that idea wrong in capital letters. Tight rules result in tiny incremental development steps for large chunks of money. Anyone who complains about the cost of motor racing should go and buy a big yacht and race that, they will soon change their tune very quickly. I have no time for those who complain about the cost of racing at any level, if you can't afford it get out and do something else.
What era of Sports Sedans are you talking about?The ‘70s professional peak for the class?If so I was there for most of it too.The cars were very unreliable by modern standards as people pushed the engineering limits.There were only ever 3-4 front running cars at any one time and the rest of the field were 3-5 seconds/lap slower.Then someone with real engineering smarts -Frank Gardner-came along,read the rules correctly and built a car that totally dominated and in the end destroyed the class.
I liked the class at the time but rose coloured glasses being worn I think.