View Single Post
Old 3 Feb 2011, 12:08 (Ref:2825023)   #14
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Sure could Chunty..... here is a clip which shows it was in ANYTHING.

Tony had a mission to lap the TT circuit on the IoM at an average speed in excess of 100mph. In a standard Rover 827. (with a roll cage and decent rubber) He did it with no notes or navigator in order to save weight!

On-board Footage of that TT Challenge
For me TP was a one-off. No one else like him before or since. There's also a clip of him starting a stage on the COI (i think?) in a Vitesse and quickly getting up to something like top whack in thick fog. The narrator says 'this is where the driver and co-driver must have complete trust in one another.'

NOT HALF!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORP View Post
Dont forget Bertie Fisher and Austin McHale and the GpB Opel Manta 400.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFGAn...eature=related
Oh yes, handly drivers both! Did both of them also drive M3's at some stage or other as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Ireland has produced some very quick tarmac drivers! Obvious really but countries that produce the best are those that allow public roads to be closed for tarmac rallies. I remember a few years ago being in a little town in N Italy on holiday. Sunday morning was woken by sounds of rally cars assembling in the square for a local tarmac event. Lucky, *******s, I thought! Such a shame that we can't do the same in UK.
Ha ha must've been a great holiday to wake up and hear that!!

I used to live near West Mid's Safari Park, where as you know the RAC visited on occassion in the 80's. Long after that stopped happening there were sometimes local club stage events going on and it was possible to hear the various cars being thrashed about across the valley where I lived, that and the Lion's being fed.......

Another couple of ace tarmac exponents that I remember were Francois Chatriot and Gregiore de Mevius. Both rallied M3's at one point did a bit of racing in similar cars as well IIRC?