View Single Post
Old 2 Feb 2019, 13:54 (Ref:3881324)   #20
Turbodcc
Rookie

Turbodcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I have posted a lengthy defense of AER elsewhere and don't need to do it again. AER makes fine motors. However ... the IMSA version, or the three (or is it four?) versions which have run ALMS/IMSA (starting with the MZR, I think) have never provided both power and reliability sufficient to make the cars competitive.

While not every Mazda loss or retirement can be laid at the feet of the AER engine ... quite a few can. And it will never have the torque of its rivals, which means it will always lose a head-to-head duel, .... can't handle traffic, or slower corners, as well as the bigger motors.

I agree with canaglia ... the motor needs a clean-sheet redesign and significant displacement boost.
Exactly, its needs a re-design. It probably is possible to make it work with all the technical advances since the beginning of the project many years ago. But that would take many months to do, and probably even more for the small AER company along with their other projects. Like my comment above, I think this just says how little Mazda must be willing to throw at it in a single season.