View Single Post
Old 24 Oct 2009, 07:52 (Ref:2568475)   #17
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verv View Post
Hi Andy, You are completely correct about the Corona you now seem to own. I managed the team that built these two chassis for Toyota New Zealand. The team was called Team Tasman. Dave Cook designed the cars and built some of the components in the UK. He and one of his mechanics, I think his name was Graham Green, flew to NZ to help run them. I dealt with Barry Barnes as I did want to buy the car. I am trying to get a photo of one of the cars from '95/96 for a web site. Can you help? Email me if I can help with anything else.
Cheers,
David Vervaart.
Hi David, Thanks for the post.

I have been in touch with Bruce Miles (Team Owner), Jason Hobbs (mechanic) and Greg Brinck (Driver of sister car) and they are all convinced that the car is one of the Toyota Castrol Team "works" cars driven by Julian Bailey. Jason has identified specific things on the cage that were unique. I don't have any photos of the cars early career, indeed I would love to find some myself, particularly in Castrol livery as I might try to recreate that.

The earliest photo I have seen is the one on Post #5 of this thread: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...ghlight=carina and thats a picture from when the car ran in the UKs National Saloon Car Cup in 1997.

If you have any details of the cars results or background then I'd be grateful if you would share them with me. I understand that some magazine article were done in NZ when the cars were first built but I have not been able to find out any more.

I must admit that I love the car. It drives fantastically well and feels like a "proper" race car! Its a far quicker car than I can drive it!

I tried to get Julian Bailey interested in a test drive of the car for a magazine article but it appears he has not been well according to a recent article in "Motorsport" magazine in the UK.