Old 15 Jul 2005, 17:04 (Ref:1356394)   #55
Inscale
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hastings
Inscale should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38
Chris... thanks for that, and yes I've seriously considered buying one of those and making three dummies (very light wallet). My only concerns about scales that aren't specifically desiged for doing corner weights were: could it take rolling 275kg on from an edge, and, could it take a bit of oveload without damage. I emailed them and asked but didn't get a response.
I picked up on this thread from our web site statistics and felt i would try to assist you. In our defense it would appear that we did not receive your message and would obviously apologise for this.

I personally have over 15 years of experience with this subject as i have sold the majority of corner weight sets to the F1 industry and the FIA. And we continue to sell scales and load cells to the motor industry.

The best sets of scales for corner weights are the most expensive as they are designed specifically to allow for high edge loads, overload, dynamic forces and general abuse by the engineers.

However, lower cost units can be used, but at a cost. They are cheap for a reason; they don't like abuse and in this case will not take the wheels driving onto them. This said you can obviously jack the wheel and slide the scale under. Each pad has four load cells inside the base; if the scale has a capacity of 300kg then each load cell is likely to have a capacity of 75kg. So rolling on to a leading edge gives you an initial capacity of 150kg + overload.

You may also find that the scales will be affected by the position of the wheel, for the most accurate reading the centre line of the wheels axle must align with the centre line of the scale and the centre line of the tyre must again be in the centre: plus the suspension must be relaxed as you can get camber effects causing load errors. But then if you aren’t F1 these may not be critical to you.

I trust this is helpful and I haven’t gone on too much, if you have any questions please do not hesitate to drop me a line, i will be only to pleased to assist.

Robert Taylor E-mail