Thread: How to fix F1?
View Single Post
Old 25 Sep 2018, 15:18 (Ref:3852639)   #55
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
DRS stays. Stability is needed. Do NOT listen to the zealots who claim the cars have too much downforce, that nearly destroyed F1 as we know it back in 2009 and again in 2014. This is probably more a sporting thing but I'll put it here: DRS can be used whenever you're less than a second behind someone. If you're not, you can't use it. No more zones, so that if you pass someone with DRS you can't use it again in the next zone like it is now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
In my set of "fixes" I said to ditch DRS, but my driving factor there was that DRS is a crutch used to cover up other issues. However... if things are done to address root cause issues and we still can't achieve closer racing with an easier ability to pass, then I can get behind something like DRS tweaks. I would actually just all this active aero 2.0. With it designed to help passing and could also be implemented in conjunction with other "boosters" such as short term extra power from the PU. Clearly it would have to have some process to limit it's use.
for me DRS is a tricky one. on one hand i agree it is a crutch to mask other issues and for a time after its introduction i do think it was effective in allowing cars to be closer for the remainder of the lap.

on the other hand, there is Ericsson's recent accident at Monza. granted that was caused by an unanticipated failure for the flap to close but it does still highlight the danger of trying to make a corner under braking with DRS open and the added loss of downforce.

part of me wants to see things made harder for the drivers (allowing them to control and use DRS at their own discretion would do that) but i worry that it will also lead to too many offs/accidents and add another level of SC VSC periods.

i suppose if it was allowed to be used at any time then there would still have to be a rule to require it to close automatically when a driver lifts/brakes.

as for DRS in qualifying...how much of it has to do with how the cars are set up/compromise between one lap quali pace vs race pace?

if there is no DRS in quali then we would have slower laps which would not be ideal as quali would be less about outright pace.

as Skam85 suggested, open up the parc ferme rules to allow for set up changes between quali and the race?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Qualifying and Parc Ferme

- Teams can change their cars post-qualifying, with no parc ferme rules in place. The only proviso to this is that the curfew rules will still apply, with three curfew 'jokers' per season in place.