View Single Post
Old 28 Jan 2019, 07:40 (Ref:3880110)   #15
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I've opened the thread up to a general discussion reading all types of DCOE. As mentioned by p261brm and mgdavid, the first late 50s sidedraft DCO3 carbs were sandcast, and very exclusive. The DCOE pressure die cast version was introduced a bit later, but when they were first used on specifc cars is causing difficulties with HTP papers. It only affects single seaters and two seater racing cars that come into period E, as detailed below. This is from an MSA inspector and is self explanatory, hopefully. If anyone can unearth any info to help, I'm sure it would be appreciated!

"Quite recently, when submitting HTP applications for two seat and single seater racing cars of a type which competed in the late 1950s or in 1960 with DCOE carburettors fitted, the FIA Historic Compliance Committee have been requesting evidence of identical DCOE type fitment from period.
Note; period E – to end of 1960 for single seater and two-seater racing cars.

As we all know, HTPs are supposed to be issued to actual cars or cars of an identical specification which competed in an International event in period.
Technically the Compliance Committee are correct to ask, then it is the responsibility of the HTP applicant to provide the required evidence.

As far as I have recently established, 40 DCOE type carburettors were first produced and available from either very late 1959 or early 1960.
45 DCOE carburettors followed some months later in mid-1960.

It would appear very few makes and/or types of cars did actually compete in an International event between mid - to the end of 1960 with DCOE carburettors.

However, and as an example, I have come across some evidence in this book “The Story of Lotus” by Ian Smith.
In the chapter covering the Lotus 18 F2 cars during the year 1960 it is quoted; “one of which had the new pressure die-cast (and cheaper) Weber 45DCOE carburettors”.
Whilst this is not 100% conclusive evidence, it is just the sort of thing my HTP colleagues and I are looking for.
See a copy of the front page from the book and the page (including the page number) with the information copies attached.

My request is; We need similar evidence or anything you have for other makes and models of cars from this period. Please note; GT and Touring cars are not a problem. These production type cars are homologated or have a catalogued specification.
Carburation is often visible in action photographs for most single seater race cars.
It is these, but predominantly for two-seater racing cars we are seeking your help and advice.

For your information, very recently the fitment of 40DCOEs on a Lotus Eleven has been questioned.
I cannot find evidence of such a period fitment.
And quite obviously, there is virtually no original 40DCO3 carburettors available and I understand no one makes reproductions.

Basic truth now is; if an HTP applicant’s period E car has DCOE carburettors, we need proof of an identical car in an International event in period.

What we are wanting is of period evidence of DCOE carburettors of whatever make and model during this short period for single and two-seater racing cars in period E- This in the very short period from between the introduction of DCOE carburettors in early 1960, to the end of period E on 31st December that same year.

Any evidence would be greatly appreciated and I am very happy to keep whatever information anyone has on file and for anyone to share.

Thank you for those who have helped so far and thank you to anyone else who may be able to help."