View Single Post
Old 21 Jun 2010, 01:48 (Ref:2715445)   #11
F1 Prospects
Racer

Canada
Montreal
F1 Prospects should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would have to disagree with the assesment of GP3 being some kind of playground for paying drivers. There is quite a bit of talent racing there right now and the racing has been fairly impressive. Plus the opportunities of racing in front of F1 have enabled a number of the drivers to make important F1 contacts.

As for the FIA taking an active interest in what is happeing in the junior series I have linked to Jean Todt's statements elsewhere on Ten Tenths that one of his priorities is to take inventory of all the junior development series and then to re-structure them. He has specifically referred to GP2 as a commercial formula and not neccessarily the best formula to lead into F1. In my opinion you will see the FIA get more involved in creating a more structured ladder to F1 which will be FIA policed as opposed to Renault policed.

I would hope that a true F3-F2-F1 ladder system would be the way.

That being said, you cannot deny that both World Series by Renault and GP2/GP3 is a hell of an impressive show, especially compared to the old FIA F3000 and great driver development programs. They are just too aligned with Renault's and Bernie's interests for my tastes.